Monday, February 14, 2011

I spit on your heart shaped candies.

If you have half of a brain (and a lot of you do ;), then it's no secret what I shall be ranting aboot. But for those of you who are perhaps a little listless from studying or what have you, here is a picture.

Yes friends it's no secret, today is the national day of love. Men have to go out of their way (of course with the underlying hope they'll get a little somethin' somethin') to prove that they give a shit by showering their ladies with stuffed bears or a begrudged engagement ring; a day for women to feel specially smothered with love and kisses; and a day to simply remind those who are single that they are indeed SINGLE. Of course they shrug it off laughingly and call it "Singles Awareness Day" which the initials spell out quite correctly, S.A.D. Also, does that really help single ladies and gents? I don't think so.

PDA, hearts, and the colors of pink and red as far as the eye doesn't want to, but does see. For the lonely ones, this day above all others can quite literally be hell on earth. But for the percentage of us singletons that are optimistic, we just see it as another day. I know I can attest to this; though I would be lying if I didn't say that it would be nice to have someone to share it with, and very preferably with a Y chromosome. What separates me from other singletons is that I really could care less about all of it. It's a day for companies to peddle love which can only be given in material ways; I guess the gift of yourself doesn't count for that much anymore...but that would differ from person to person.
If it were me, I would appreciate the little things. Ladies why do you feel you need something like a big stuffed bear or flowers when both aren't going to mean as much later? Look the bear is going to sit somewhere in your closet gathering dust and within 3 days those roses will be as dead and empty of color as your boyfriend's bank account.
Within my cynicism lies a point; companies make bank off of this holiday, and for what? All of this stuff is material, which is nice yes, but people go overboard trying and do big displays of affection with gifts, gifts, and MORE gifts. The end result are empty wallets and money hungry industries gorging themselves on revenue. It's perfectly acceptable to give a token of love in the form of a nice watch or necklace, but fellas, ease up a bit. God if I had a nickel for the women I saw walking around today trying to hang onto big stuffed animals, a bunch of heart shaped balloons, and flowers...Well I'd have enough to get myself some of that shit! :D
And for those who may not currently be in a relationship, know that someone will come into your life when you're least expecting it; sounds corny but there is truth in it. For the time being though, realize you don't need to be in a relationship to be happy and value the love you have from friends and family because guess what, you are loved regardless of being single.
In closing (as "hallmark" as it may sound), how about valuing the time you have with your loved one(s)? Is this such a hard concept? Because time is fleeting and no matter how many candies or roses you give, in the end you won't remember those THINGS; you'll remember and cherish the memories. THAT in the end coupled with love itself is whats important.

Moral to this blog? Love is the best gift; it's free and frequent.

That's all the ranting out of me for this evening :)
Love you all. Goodnight, and have a pleasant tomorrow.

-Beth

No comments: