Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Obligatory Political Stance Post...

Hello to one and all where ever you may be on this partially lush, partially wet spinning sphere we call earth. And welcome to a post that deals with a very common topic of convo. these days.

The race for the White House. Yawn. I know. But I actually feel compelled to voice some of my opinions on this particular election. With about a month to go until election day, things are getting close. What?! Yes, I know it's crazy.

Let me pause for a second and give a kind-of-disclosure. I am liberal. But I wanna specify the difference in my meaning here really quick; I am no Nancy Pelosi, I am registered as "unaffiliated." It is very possible for a person to have liberal political views but not align themselves with a party. I do not agree with the Democrats or Republicans on a lot of things, I believe both parties have severe character flaws and the lack of bipartisanship between the two just solidifies where I stand. I am liberal, not democrat. My views may differ from yours, but I do encourage you to read on. The best way we learn and grow is to listen to those with opposing views. So educate yourself? Also I anticipate this to be a looong post so if you have the time, then onward we go!

I'll start out by saying I'm not crazy about either Obama or Romney. The best way I've heard it phrased thus far came from Jon Stewart, and I'm paraphrasing here. "These are the two choices we have. And it isn't necessarily that one is better than the other. This is what we have to work with."As a voter, this is kind of frustrating though I do realize there is no such thing as the "perfect candidate." The choice for me is clear---Obama. I believe he knows how to talk to people (not that that'll get much done), but I also believe he's had a hard time getting legislation passed partially due to a great deal of opposition for him and his presidency by congress. Barrack holds an indelible black mark on his term over the economy and the national debt. This will be the breaking point on whether or not he can win re-election. Overall, his likability among Americans is still high. My personal issues with Barrack Obama are as follows; I don't like what is under the surface of "Obama care." I like the idea behind it, "health care for all" and no discrimination on those with pre-existing health conditions. I, being a poor college student who has to take out loans as it is to pay for school, who is lucky to make 9,000 per year, will be expected to pay for health insurance too. This seems ridiculous considering my last big health expenditure was when I was 6 years old. Having health insurance is good because unexpected accidents or health issues can come up. But as it stands, I have no pre-existing medical conditions that would validate getting health insurance that would cost me an arm, a leg, and my first born. And the fact that I will be penalized with a fine if I do not have health insurance by the time "Obama care" goes in to effect seems unjustifiable. You're going to give me a fine I can't afford, to get health insurance I sure as hell can't afford? I know I have time to get my money situation in order, but I still feel "Obama care" doesn't make sense to the portion of our healthy population. The idea is good, the way in which it's being implemented is flawed.  

That being said, Romney has no better choice to offer on this idea. In fact, his plan is very similar to Obama's. Under his health plan, those who've had insurance previously wouldn't be denied insurance/dropped for pre-existing health issues. Those who've never had insurance and end up with a severe health concern, too bad so sad. Doesn't sound fair at all, because like I stated before, not all of us need health insurance RIGHT NOW. We'd like to have it as a safety net for those unexpected occurrences, but the majority of us have problems affording it. And as it stands, I've looked at my options under the current policy, and I don't qualify for any of the pools of low cost insurance. Again, problematic. Romney said he wouldn't repeal every bit of the current policy, but what difference would it make really?

On a side note, it's so difficult to know who's telling the truth and who isn't; from the candidates themselves to internet sources on the issues and "the facts." The process of forming political opinion seems to entail a lot of regurgitation. Well I heard this from this website and it validates my opinion that Obama is a terrorist...Doesn't make it right. The best way we can really stay informed is to educate ourselves on past policies, figure out where we stand individually, and talk to those who have differing view points because you can learn from each other. Specifically, I find it's hard to get the truth out of Romney and where he stands on issues---he has been in a cycle of flip-flopping like on his position of abortion. He was previously pro-choice, now he's pro-life. He was saying he need more teachers, now he's saying we don't? This makes me not trust him. He hasn't even revealed much of his plans for a potential presidency; gotta be honest Mitt, you seem very untrustworthy. 

As a future teacher, one of my main concerns is education reform. The current system in place isn't working effectively and doesn't utilize the range of skills that kids have. The pupil/student ratio has decreased in some parts of the country, but in an average classroom, teachers can have as many as 30 students at a time. On a different note, Chicago has a piss poor excuse for a school system. They have the shortest school day (6 hours) and yet those damn "teachers" were on strike for more money? You're going to hold out for a pay raise and let the kids loose out? I almost wonder if they're better off? I digress, the system needs to change and adapt to our kids. Education is currently "one size fits all" for each student. How is this fair to the individualized needs of each kid? My biggest problem are things like tracking/retention; this is the most degrading thing we could do to students, and it can start as early as elementary school. This predetermines the success or failure of each student without their say and segregates students in such a way that can make them label themselves as "smart" or "stupid" or "average." This is harmful to their self-esteem and will breed a sense of superiority or inferiority and can inhibit individual learning. These factors are linked to drop out rates, and I have seen personally the effect this can have on a student. The damage is alarming. 
Concerning higher education (college), the hikes in tuition are in some cases, excessive. Yes there are programs that benefit students and are involved in what they pay for, but for some, they just can't afford it. And the constraints of loans and debt are smothering a good deal of students. Back to the candidates; Obama has done a good deal of work increase the pell amount to a max of 5,500 per year allowing students like me to go to college. I do still need loans, but he wants to decrease interest to 10% of a student's earnings and enact debt forgiveness for students giving them a clean slate. Debt is a heavy weight on my mind daily, and really made me question my place in college. Romney would be unforgiving and cut spending on education. He has even said in the past he would consider cutting pell grants/funding for things like The Endowment for the Arts and Humanities. This would devastate our educational system as we know it. It is theorized he would do this as a tax break for the rich. I don't know if it's true, but I don't like his position and perceived notions of what is and isn't important. The future is nothing to gamble with. The growth of students should be held to a higher importance. 

(GASP) Okay. A bit of a rant, but you can see what matters to me.  
In closing, I believe Obama is a good man. I believe he more closely represents the people. And I believe he will do what is right for us. I don't believe Romney is in anyway, interested in the needs of the people. I think he is untrustworthy and not straight forward with the american people. His religion is a very small factor as to why I don't want him in office; I will admit, I'm not a fan of LDS religion. But I don't think he'd be in office so the LDS church could reign over the U.S. I just don't agree with his positions and I don't think he has anything new to offer. He won't be the savior of the U.S.---not that Obama will be---but I believe Obama can get us to a better place; mind you this belief is a hope. I really hope the country will get better under Obama's leadership. 

So that's where I'm at. And I'm prepared to move to Canada in the event of a Romney win. So here's to hope. Otherwise, it's moose and maple syrup for me....

Carry on!
-Beth

No comments: